San Jose Sharks Roster 2022-2023
The San Jose Sharks roster is a force to be reckoned with. From seasoned veterans to up-and-coming stars, the Sharks have a diverse mix of players who bring their unique strengths to the game. Explore the roster below and much more:
Check Out: The Latest San Jose Sharks News
Who is the San Jose Sharks captain?
Logan Couture was born on March 28, 1989, in Guelph, Ontario, and is the current captain of the San Jose Sharks. Couture was drafted in the first round, 9th overall, by the Sharks in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, and he has been a staple player in their lineup ever since. Known for his scoring touch and leadership qualities, Couture has consistently been one of the Sharks’ top performers on the ice.
Throughout his NHL career, Couture has been a reliable point producer, totaling 700 points in 927 games. He is also known for his clutch play, scoring 55 game-winning goals and eight overtime goals. Couture has been recognized for his contributions to the Sharks, having been selected to the NHL All-Star Game twice and being a finalist for the Selke Trophy, which is awarded to the league’s top defensive forward.
In the 2022-2023 NHL season, Couture had a strong statistical campaign, tallying 67 points in 82 games. Although the Sharks struggled as a team, Couture’s individual performance stood out, as he led the team in points and was second in goals. With a shooting percentage of 13.6%, Couture displayed his scoring touch, and his 20 power-play points were evidence of his effectiveness on the man advantage.
Check Out: San Jose Sharks Schedule
Who is the San Jose Sharks’ best all-time captain?
Joe Pavelski served as the Sharks’ captain from 2015 to 2019 and displayed exceptional leadership qualities both on and off the ice. Under his guidance, the team experienced a significant level of success, including making it to the Stanley Cup Final for the first time in franchise history during the 2015-2016 season. In addition to his leadership skills, Pavelski was a consistently high-performing player who contributed immensely to the Sharks’ offensive capabilities, registering over 30 goals in four different seasons while wearing the “C.”
- 94, LW, Alexander Barabanov (St. Petersburg, RUS)
- 39, C, Logan Couture (Guelph, ON, CAN)
- 41, C, Kyle Criscuolo (Southampton, NJ, USA)
- 42, LW, Jonah Gadjovich (Whitby, ON, CAN)
- 73, C, Noah Gregor (Beaumont, AB, CAN)
- 48, C, Tomas Hertl (Praha, CZE)
- 18, LW, Andreas Johnsson (Gävle, SWE)
- 11, C, Luke Kunin (Chesterfield, MO, USA)
- 62, RW, Kevin Labanc (Brooklyn, NY, USA)
- 23, LW, Oskar Lindblom (Gävle, SWE)
- 16, C, Steven Lorentz (Kitchener, ON, CAN)
- 24, C, Jacob Peterson (Lidkoping, SWE)
- 7, C, Nico Sturm (Augsburg, DEU)
- 10, LW, Evgeny Svechnikov (Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, RUS)
- 63, LW, Jeffrey Viel (Rimouski, QC, CAN)
- 20, LW, Fabian Zetterlund (Karlstad, SWE)
- 5, R, Matt Benning (Edmonton, AB, CAN)
- 38, L, Mario Ferraro (Toronto, ON, CAN)
- 65, R, Erik Karlsson (Landsbro, SWE)
- 71, L, Nikolai Knyzhov (Kemerovo, RUS)
- 9, L, Jacob MacDonald (Portland, OR, USA)
- 77, L, Markus Nutivaara (Oulu, FIN)
- 51, L, Radim Simek (Mlada Boleslav, CZE)
- 3, L, Henry Thrun (Southborough, MA, USA)
- 44, L, Marc-Edouard Vlasic (Montréal, QC, CAN)
Who is the starting goaltender for the San Jose Sharks?
Kaapo Kahkonen is the starting goaltender for the San Jose Sharks and was born on August 16, 1996, in Helsinki, Finland. Kahkonen was selected by the Minnesota Wild in the fourth round, 109th overall, in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. He has developed into a reliable goaltender and was acquired by the Sharks in a trade during the 2021-2022 season. Kahkonen has been a key player for the Sharks since his arrival, consistently earning the starting role and helping the team compete in games.
In the 2022-2023 NHL season, Kahkonen played in 37 games for the Sharks, starting in every game he played. He recorded 9 wins, 20 losses, and 7 overtime losses, facing a total of 1,149 shots on goal. Kahkonen put up a solid save percentage of .883 and recorded one shutout.
- 36, Kaapo Kahkonen (Helsinki, FIN)
- 47, James Reimer (Morweena, MB, CAN)
Who is the San Jose Sharks’ best all-time goaltender?
Evgeni Nabokov, a native of Kazakhstan, played for the Sharks from 1999 to 2010 and solidified his position as the team’s franchise goaltender during his tenure. He holds several franchise records, including most wins (293), shutouts (50), and games played by a goaltender (563). Nabokov was a crucial component of the Sharks’ success during the 2000s, helping the team consistently reach the playoffs and advance to the Western Conference Finals twice.
Nabokov’s individual accolades also cement his legacy as the Sharks’ best all-time goaltender. He won the Calder Memorial Trophy as the NHL’s Rookie of the Year in 2001 and was named an NHL All-Star twice (2001 and 2008).
Who is the best player for the San Jose Sharks?
Erik Karlsson is considered to be the best player on the San Jose Sharks roster and one of the top defensemen in the NHL. Born on May 31, 1990, in Landsbro, Sweden, Karlsson was drafted in the first round, 15th overall, by the Ottawa Senators in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. He has since become a two-time Norris Trophy winner, awarded to the NHL’s top defenseman. Karlsson is known for his exceptional skating ability, offensive skills, and ability to control the play. He was acquired by the Sharks in a trade during the 2018 offseason and has been a major factor in their success ever since.
In the 2022-2023 NHL season, Karlsson put up impressive offensive numbers, recording 101 points in 82 games played. He was a key contributor on the power play, tallying 27 points with the man advantage. Although the Sharks struggled as a team, Karlsson’s individual performance stood out, as he led the team in points and was among the league leaders in points among defensemen. Throughout his NHL career, Karlsson has consistently been one of the league’s top players, earning six NHL All-Star Game selections and being named to the NHL First All-Star Team four times.
Who are the San Jose Sharks top prospects
- William Eklund (F) – The seventh overall pick of the 2021 NHL Draft is slowly working his way to becoming a mainstay in the Sharks lineup. This talented forward gave Sharks fans a brief glimpse of what they’ll be getting with 3 points in 8 games during the 2022-23 season.
- Thomas Bordeleau (F) – Selected in the second-round of the 2020 NHL Draft, he’s a crafty forward with excellent speed. Although he may be on the small the side, once he’s on the puck it’s difficult to get him off it. Bordeleau has had two brief stints with the Sharks the last two seasons, but could be inline for more next year.
Has a San Jose Sharks player ever won an MVP?
Joe Thornton, a talented center who joined the Sharks in 2005 via a trade with the Boston Bruins, captured the prestigious award for the 2005-2006 season. His arrival in San Jose had an immediate and transformative impact on the team, as he recorded a league-leading 96 assists and finished with 125 points that season, making him the Art Ross Trophy winner as the NHL’s top point-scorer.
His outstanding season not only secured him the Hart Trophy but also earned him a place in the NHL First All-Star Team. Thornton’s MVP win remains the only instance in Sharks franchise history where a player has claimed the honor.
Who is the most famous San Jose Sharks player of all time?
One player who stands out in terms of fame, impact, and longevity is Patrick Marleau. Drafted by the Sharks in 1997, Marleau spent 19 seasons in San Jose, becoming the face of the franchise and a fan favorite. He holds numerous team records, including most goals (518), points (1,102), and games played (1,551) in a Sharks uniform.
Marleau’s on-ice success, combined with his longevity, community involvement, and ambassadorship for the sport, has made him a recognizable figure in the world of hockey. He has been named an NHL All-Star three times (2004, 2007, and 2009) and represented Team Canada in various international competitions, winning two Olympic gold medals in 2010 and 2014.