New Jersey Devils Roster 2022-2023
The New Jersey Devils were founded in 1974 and have since established themselves as one of the most successful franchises in the league, having won three Stanley Cup championships in their history. Explore their deep pool of talent and history with this New Jersey Devils roster:
Who is the New Jersey Devils captain?
Nico Hischier was named the captain of the New Jersey Devils on February 20, 2021. At the time, he was the youngest players to be named captain at the age of 22 years and 47 days. Kirk Muller was the youngest captain in franchise history at 21 years and 243 days.
Who is the New Jersey Devils’ best all-time captain?
The New Jersey Devils’ best all-time captain is Scott Stevens.
Stevens served as the Devils’ captain from 1992 to 2004, during which time he led the team to three Stanley Cup championships (in 1995, 2000, and 2003). He played for the Devils for 13 seasons, during which time he earned several individual awards and honors, including the Conn Smythe Trophy as the playoff MVP in 2000, and he was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2007.
- 14, RW, Nathan Bastian (Kitchener, ON, CAN)
- 70, C, Jesper Boqvist (Falun, SWE)
- 63, LW, Jesper Bratt (Stockholm, SWE)
- 25, LW, Nolan Foote (Denver, CO, USA)
- 66, LW, Erik Haula (Pori, FIN)
- 13, C, Nico Hischier (C) (Brig, CHF)
- 86, C, Jack Hughes (A) (Orlando, FL, USA)
- 42, C, Curtis Lazar (Salmon Arm, BC, CAN)
- 20, C, Michael McLeod (Mississauga, ON, CAN)
- 96, RW, Timo Meier (Herisau, CHE)
- 91, C, Dawson Mercer (Carbonear, NI, CAN)
- 18, LW, Ondrej Palat (A) (Frydek-Mistek, CZE)
- 17, C, Yegor Sharangovich (Minsk, BLR)
- 90, LW, Tomas Tator (Ilava, SVK)
- 44, LW, Miles Wood (Buffalo, NY, USA)
- 88, D, Kevin Bahl (New Westminster, BC, CAN)
- 33, D, Ryan Graves (Yarmouth, NA, CAN)
- 7, D, Dougie Hamilton (Toronto, ON, CAN)
- 6, D, John Marino (North Easton, MA, USA)
- 28, D, Damon Severson (Melville, SK, CAN)
- 71, D, Jonas Siegenthaler (Zurich, CHE)
- 2, D, Brendan Smith (Mimico, ON, CAN)
Who is the starting goaltender for the New Jersey Devils?
The starting goaltender for the New Jersey Devils is Vitek Vanecek. Born on January 9, 1996, in Havlíčkův Brod, Czech Republic, Vanecek began his professional career in his home country, playing for HC Bílí Tygři Liberec in the Czech Extraliga.
He was drafted by the Washington Capitals in the 2nd round, 39th overall, in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft and made his NHL debut with the Washington Capitals during the 2020-2021 season.
Vanacek joined the New Jersey Devils in 2022.
- 45, G, Jonathan Bernier (Laval, QC, CAN)
- 29, G, Mackenzie Blackwood (Thunder Bay, ON, CAN)
- 41, G, Vitek Vanecek (Havlickuv Brod, CZE)
Who is the New Jersey Devils’ best all-time goaltender?
The New Jersey Devils’ best all-time goaltender is Martin Brodeur.
Brodeur played for the Devils for 21 seasons, from 1991 to 2014, and established himself as one of the greatest goaltenders in NHL history. He holds numerous records, including the record for most regular-season wins by a goaltender (691) and the record for most shutouts by a goaltender (125). Brodeur also helped lead the Devils to three Stanley Cup championships, in 1995, 2000, and 2003.
Brodeur is widely regarded as one of the best goaltenders of all time and remains a beloved figure in New Jersey.
Who is the best player for the New Jersey Devils?
Jesper Bratt is considered the best player for the New Jersey Devils right now. Born on July 30, 1998, in Stockholm, Sweden, Bratt was selected by the Devils in the sixth round, 162nd overall, of the 2016 NHL Entry Draft.
Bratt made his NHL debut with the Devils in the 2017-2018 season and has since delivered:
- In his rookie season with the New Jersey Devils (2017-2018), Bratt played in 74 games and recorded 13 goals and 22 assists for a total of 35 points.
- In the 2018-2019 season, Bratt played in 51 games and recorded 8 goals and 25 assists for a total of 33 points.
- In the pandemic-shortened 2019-2020 season, Bratt played in 60 games and recorded 16 goals and 16 assists for a total of 32 points.
Bratt’s offensive production, particularly his ability to create scoring chances for himself and his teammates, make him an important part of the Devils’ roster.
New Jersey Devils Prospects
- Luke Hughes: Jack Hughes’ younger brother is showing real promise after being taken fourth overall by the Devils in 2021. He should become a mainstay on the Devils blue-line soon.
- Alexander Holtz: Holtz played for Djurgårdens IF in the Swedish Hockey League (SHL) before being drafted by the New Jersey Devils in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft. He was selected as the 7th overall pick in the first round.
- Arseni Gritsyuk: Born on October 15, 2001, in Togliatti, Russia. Gritsyuk is a forward who was selected in the fifth round of the 2019 NHL Entry Draft, 129th overall, by the New Jersey Devils.
Has a New Jersey Devils player ever won an MVP?
One New Jersey Devils players have won the NHL’s Most Valuable Player:
Taylor Hall won it in 2017-18. Hall had a standout season, scoring 39 goals and 54 assists for 93 points, leading the Devils to the playoffs for the first time since 2012. He was also awarded the Ted Lindsay Award as the NHL’s most outstanding player, as voted by the NHL Players’ Association.
New Jersey Devils Recaps
Related: See More New Jersey Devils Recaps
Who is the oldest-ever New Jersey Devils’ player?
The oldest-ever player for the New Jersey Devils is Jaromir Jagr, who was born on February 15, 1972, and played for the team during the 2013-2014 season.
Jagr had an illustrious career that spanned over three decades, playing for eight different NHL teams, including the Devils. He is widely regarded as one of the greatest players in NHL history, having won numerous individual awards and helping his teams to several Stanley Cup championships.
Jagr joined the Devils in 2013 as a free agent and played for the team during the 2013-2014 season at the age of 41. While he was no longer in his prime, Jagr still managed to contribute to the team’s offense, scoring 24 goals and 43 assists for 67 points in 82 games.
Who is the most famous New Jersey Devils player of all time?
Martin Brodeur is widely considered the most famous and accomplished player in the New Jersey Devils roster history.
Brodeur, a goaltender, spent the majority of his career with the Devils, from 1990 to 2014. He won three Stanley Cup championships with the team (in 1995, 2000, and 2003) and was awarded the Vezina Trophy four times as the NHL’s best goaltender.
Brodeur holds numerous NHL records, including most career wins and shutouts by a goaltender. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2018.