Carolina Hurricanes Roster 2022-2023
The Carolina Hurricanes roster boasts a dynamic mix of talent, skill, and determination. Comprising a blend of seasoned veterans and promising young stars, that proudly represents the city of Raleigh and the passionate fan base that fuels their pursuit of hockey glory.
Check Out: The Latest Carolina Hurricanes News
Who is the Carolina Hurricanes captain?
Jordan Staal is the Carolina Hurricanes captain. Born on September 10, 1988, in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Jordan is part of the famous Staal hockey family, with his brothers Eric, Marc, and Jared also having played in the NHL.
Staal began his NHL career in 2006 after being drafted second overall by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. He played for the Penguins until 2012, winning the Stanley Cup with the team in 2009.
In June 2012, Staal was traded to the Carolina Hurricanes, where he eventually became team captain. Known for his strong two-way play, leadership qualities, and reliability on the ice, Jordan Staal continues to be a key player for the Hurricanes.
Who is the Carolina Hurricanes’ best all-time captain?
The greatest captain in the team’s history is Rod Brind’Amour. Serving as captain from 2005 to 2010, Brind’Amour led the Hurricanes to their first and only Stanley Cup championship in 2006.
His leadership, tenacity, and work ethic on and off the ice made him a respected figure both within the team and around the league. After retiring as a player, Brind’Amour transitioned into coaching and in 2018 was named the head coach of the Hurricanes.
- 20, C, Sebastian Aho (Rauma, FIN)
- 18, C, Jack Drury (New York, NY, USA)
- 71, RW, Jesper Fast (Nassjo, SWE)
- 24, C, Seth Jarvis (Winnipeg, MB, CAN)
- 73, RW, Ondrej Kase (Kadan, CZE)
- 82, C, Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Pori, FIN)
- 48, LW, Jordan Martinook (A) (Brandon, MB, CAN)
- 88, C, Martin Necas (Nove Mesto na Morave, CZE)
- 23, RW, Stefan Noesen (Plano, TX, USA)
- 67, LW, Max Pacioretty (New Canaan, CT, USA)
- 13, RW, Jesse Puljujarvi (Alvkarleby, SWE)
- 11, C, Jordan Staal (C) (Thunder Bay, ON, CAN)
- 26, C, Paul Stastny (Quebec City, QC, CAN)
- 21, C, Derek Stepan (Hastings, MN, USA)
- 37, RW, Andrei Svechnikob (Barnaul, RUS)
- 86, LW, Teuvo Teravainen (Helsinki, FIN)
- 8, D, Brent Burns (Barrie, ON, CAN)
- 5, D, Jalen Chatfield (Ypsilanti, MI, USA)
- 15, D, Dylan Coghlan (Duncan, BC, CAN)
- 44, D, Calvin de Haan (Carp, On, CAN)
- 41, D, Shayne Gostisbehere (Pembroke Pines, FL, USA)
- 22, D, Brett Pesce (Tarrytown, NY, USA)
- 76, D, Brady Skjer (Lakeville, MN, USA)
- 74, D, Jaccob Slavin (A) (Denver, CO, USA)
Who is the starting goaltender for the Carolina Hurricanes?
Frederik Andersen is starting goaltender for the Carolina Hurricanes. Before joining the Hurricanes, he played for the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Anaheim Ducks. Born on October 2, 1989, in Herning, Denmark, Andersen has represented the Danish national team in international competitions.
- 31, G, Frederik Andersen (Herning, DNK)
- 32, G, Antti Raanta (Rauma, FIN)
Who is the Carolina Hurricanes’ best all-time goaltender?
Cam Ward is considered the top goaltender in the Carolina Hurricanes’ history. Ward played for the Hurricanes from 2005 to 2018 and helped the team win the Stanley Cup in 2006, earning the Conn Smythe Trophy as the most valuable player during the playoffs. His career with the Hurricanes included many franchise records in various goaltending categories, such as games played, wins, and shutouts.
Who is the best player for the Carolina Hurricanes?
Sebastian Aho is considered the best player for the Carolina Hurricanes. Born on July 26, 1997, in Rauma, Finland, Aho has become an integral part of the Hurricanes lineup since being drafted by the team in the second round (35th overall) of the 2015 NHL Entry Draft.
Aho made his NHL debut during the 2016-2017 season and quickly established himself as a skilled offensive player. Known for his speed, vision, and scoring ability, he has consistently been one of the Hurricanes’ top point producers. Aho has also represented Finland in international competitions, including the World Junior Ice Hockey Championships and the IIHF World Championship, where he has achieved notable success.
Carolina Hurricanes Prospects
- Scott Morrow: The Carolina Hurricanes selected Morrow in the 2021 NHL Entry Draft with the 40th overall pick in the second round. He is known for his impressive skating, playmaking abilities, and hockey IQ.
- Jack Drury: Drury was selected by the Carolina Hurricanes in the second round, 42nd overall, of the 2018 NHL Entry Draft. He has been a standout player in the NCAA, where he was the captain of the Harvard Crimson men’s ice hockey team
- Pyotr Kochetkov: The 23 year-old netminder was selected in the second round of the 2019 Draft. He played 24 games in the 2022-23 season thanks to injuries to both Andersen and Raanta showing he’s their future goalie.
Has a Carolina Hurricanes player ever won an MVP?
Yes, a player from the Carolina Hurricanes has won the NHL’s Most Valuable Player (MVP) award. In the 2005-2006 season, Hurricanes forward Eric Staal won the Hart Memorial Trophy as the NHL’s MVP.
Staal had a remarkable season in which he scored 45 goals and added 55 assists for 100 points in 82 games played. He led the league in scoring and helped the Hurricanes win the Stanley Cup that season. Staal’s exceptional play and leadership were critical to the Hurricanes’ success, earning him the recognition as the league’s most valuable player.
In addition to Staal’s MVP award, the Hurricanes have had several players win individual awards and honors throughout their history, including Art Ross Trophies, Selke Trophies, and Calder Trophies.
Who is the most famous Carolina Hurricanes player of all time?
The Carolina Hurricanes have had many talented players throughout its history, but one player who stands out as the most famous is likely Ron Francis.
Francis played for the Hurricanes organization for over ten years, first joining the team when they were still the Hartford Whalers in 1991. He was a dominant player for the franchise, consistently putting up impressive offensive numbers and serving as a strong leader both on and off the ice.
During his time with the Hurricanes, Francis helped lead the team to two Stanley Cup Finals appearances, including winning the Cup in 2006. He also set several franchise records, including for career assists and points.
What Carolina Hurricanes players have been inducted into the NHL Hall of Fame?
There are several players with connections to the Carolina Hurricanes franchise who have been inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. Here are some notable examples:
- Ron Francis: Francis is arguably the most famous player in Hurricanes history, having played for the team for over ten years and serving as its captain for several seasons. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2007.
- Mark Recchi: Recchi played for the Hurricanes for parts of two seasons in the early 2000s, including during their run to the Stanley Cup Finals in 2002. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2017.
- Dave Andreychuk: Andreychuk played for the Hurricanes for one season in 1999-2000, scoring 20 goals and helping the team reach the playoffs. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2017.
- Igor Larionov: Larionov played for the Hurricanes for one season in 2003-2004, near the end of his storied NHL career. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2008.
- Rod Brind’Amour: While Brind’Amour has not yet been inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame, he is widely considered to be a strong candidate for the honor. He played for the Hurricanes for nine seasons, serving as captain for much of that time, and helped lead the team to a Stanley Cup championship in 2006.
Many other players, coaches, and executives associated with the Hurricanes franchise have been inducted into the Hall of Fame.