Boston Bruins Roster 2022-2023
The Boston Bruins roster boasts a rich history filled with legendary players. With six Stanley Cup championships to their name, the team has a winning tradition that has ingrained itself into the hearts of fans, who are affectionately known as the “Black and Gold” faithful.
Who is the Boston Bruins captain?
Patrice Bergeron-Cleary, commonly known as Patrice Bergeron, was born on July 24, 1985, in L’Ancienne-Lorette, Quebec, Bergeron has spent his entire National Hockey League (NHL) career with the Boston Bruins, who drafted him in the second round, 45th overall, in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.
Bergeron, a versatile center, is known for his exceptional two-way play and is widely regarded as one of the best defensive forwards in the league. His impressive skill set has earned him numerous accolades, including multiple Frank J. Selke Trophy awards as the NHL’s top defensive forward.
Who is the Boston Bruins best all-time captain?
Many consider Raymond “Ray” Bourque to be the best all-time captain of the Boston Bruins. Born on December 28, 1960, in Saint-Laurent, Quebec, Bourque was a premier defenseman who played 21 seasons in the NHL, spending the majority of his career with the Bruins. He served as the team’s captain from 1985 to 2000, wearing the “C” on his jersey for an impressive 15 years
He holds numerous records for the Bruins and the NHL, including the most goals, assists, and points by a defenseman. A 19-time All-Star and five-time winner of the Norris Trophy as the league’s best defenseman.
Although Bourque never won a Stanley Cup with the Bruins, he did win the championship in 2001 with the Colorado Avalanche, the team he joined for the final seasons of his career.
- 37, C, Patrice Bergeron (C) (L’Ancienne-Lorette, QC, CAN)
- 59, LW, Tyler Bertuzzi (Sudbury, ON, CAN)
- 13, C, Charlie Coyle (East Weymouth, MA, USA)
- 74, LW, Jake DeBrusk (Edmonton, AB, CAN)
- 17, LW, Nick Foligno (Buffalo, NY, USA)
- 11, C, Trent Frederic (St. Louis, MO, USA)
- 10, LW, A.J. Greer (Joliette, QC, CAN)
- 71, LW, Taylor Hall (Calgary, AB, CAN)
- 21, RW, Garnet Hathaway (Naples, FL, USA)
- 46, C, David Krejci (A) (Sternberk, CZE)
- 94, C, Jakub Lauko (Prague, CZE)
- 63, LW, Brad Marchand (A) (Halifax, NS, CAN)
- 92, LW, Tomas Nosek (Pardubice, CZE)
- 88, RW, David Pastrnak (Havirov, CZE)
- 62, C, Oskar Steen (Karistad, SWE)
- 18, C, Pavel Zacha (Brno, CZE)
- 25, D, Brandon Carlo (Colorado Springs, CO, USA)
- 75, D, Connor Clifton (Matawan, NJ, USA)
- 28, D, Derek Forbort (Duluth, MN, USA)
- 48, D, Matt Grzelcyk (Charlestown, MA, USA)
- 27, D, Hampus Lindholm (Helsingborg, SWE)
- 73, D, Charlie McAvoy (Long Beach, NY, USA)
- 81, D, Dmitry Orlov (Novokuznetsk, RUS)
- 86, D, Anton Stralman (Tibro, SWE)
- 67, D, Jakub Zboril (Brno, CZE)
Who is the starting goaltender for the Boston Bruins?
The Boston Bruins starting goaltender is Linus Ullmark. Born on July 31, 1993, in Lugnvik, Sweden, Ullmark began his professional career in Sweden, playing for MODO Hockey in the Swedish Hockey League (SHL).
Ullmark was drafted by the Buffalo Sabres in the sixth round, 163rd overall, in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. He eventually made his NHL debut with the Sabres during the 2015-2016 season. In July 2021, Ullmark signed a four-year contract with the Boston Bruins as a free agent.
- 1, G, Jeremy Swayman (Anchorage, AK, USA)
- 35, G, Linus Ullmark (Lugnvik, SWE)
Who is the Bruins’ best all-time goaltender?
Gerry Cheevers is considered the Boston Bruins best all-time goaltender. Born on December 7, 1940, in St. Catharines, Ontario, Cheevers played for the Bruins during two separate stints, from 1965-1972 and 1976-1980.
Cheevers was a crucial part of the Bruins’ success during their golden era in the late 1960s and early 1970s. He backstopped the team to two Stanley Cup championships in 1970 and 1972. Known for his iconic mask, which featured painted stitches,
Cheevers was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1985, a testament to his significant impact on the game and the Bruins’ storied history.
Who is the best player for the Boston Bruins?
David Pastrňák is considered by many to be the best player for the Boston Bruins. He was born on May 25, 1996, in Havirov, Czech Republic. In the 2014-2015 season. Pastrňák was drafted by the Bruins in the first round, 25th overall, in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
Pastrňák has earned various accolades, including selections to multiple NHL All-Star Games and the recipient of the 2020 Maurice “Rocket” Richard Trophy for leading the league in goals scored.
Known for his incredible offensive skills, Pastrňák has been a dynamic goal-scorer and playmaker for the Bruins. His quick hands, accurate shot, and impressive on-ice vision have made him one of the most dangerous forwards in the league.
Who are the Boston Bruins top prospects
- Fabian Lysell (RW): The Gothenburg, Sweden native was selected in the first-round (21st overall) in the 2021 Draft. He has the speed and skillset to have an impact for the Bruins in the near future.
- Jakub Lauko (LW): Lauko is a skilled winger with a combination of speed, skill, and a strong work ethic. He has the potential to develop into a valuable NHL forward.
- John Beecher (C): Beecher, a first-round pick in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft, is a big, strong center with good skating ability and two-way play. He has been developing his game at the collegiate level and could become a solid NHL player in the future.
Has a Boston Bruins player ever won an MVP?
Several Boston Bruins players have won the Hart Memorial Trophy, awarded to the Most Valuable Player (MVP) in the National Hockey League (NHL) during the regular season:
- Eddie Shore: Shore, a legendary defenseman, won the Hart Trophy four times during his career with the Bruins (1933, 1935, 1936, and 1938).
- Bill Cowley: Cowley, a talented center, was awarded the Hart Trophy twice as a member of the Bruins (1941 and 1943).
- Milt Schmidt: Schmidt, another outstanding center, won the Hart Trophy once in 1951.
- Phil Esposito: Esposito, one of the most prolific scorers in NHL history, won the Hart Trophy twice while playing for the Bruins (1969 and 1974).
- Bobby Orr: Orr, widely considered one of the greatest hockey players of all time, won the Hart Trophy three times as a Bruins defenseman (1970, 1971, and 1972).
These exceptional players have made significant contributions to the Bruins’ storied history and left an indelible mark on the NHL.
Boston Bruins Recaps
Related: See More Boston Bruins Recaps
Who is the most famous Boston Bruins player of all time?
The most famous Boston Bruins player of all time is widely considered to be Bobby Orr. Born on March 20, 1948, in Parry Sound, Ontario, Orr is often regarded as one of the greatest hockey players in the history of the sport. As a defenseman, Orr revolutionized the way the position was played with his exceptional skating, scoring ability, and offensive instincts.
During his 10 seasons with the Bruins (1966-1976), Orr accumulated numerous individual awards and accolades. He won the Norris Trophy as the league’s best defenseman eight times, the Hart Trophy as the NHL’s Most Valuable Player three times, and the Conn Smythe Trophy as the most valuable player in the playoffs twice. Orr was also the first and only defenseman to win the league scoring title, capturing the Art Ross Trophy twice.
One of Orr’s most iconic moments came in the 1970 Stanley Cup Final when he scored the Cup-winning goal in overtime against the St. Louis Blues, a moment immortalized in the famous photograph of Orr flying through the air. Orr helped the Bruins win two Stanley Cup championships, in 1970 and 1972, further solidifying his legendary status in the team’s history.
Though his career was shortened by knee injuries, Orr’s impact on the game and the Bruins organization has been lasting and profound.
Are the Boston Bruins the oldest team in the NHL?
The Boston Bruins are not the oldest team in the NHL, but they are the oldest American team in the league. The Bruins were founded in 1924 and joined the NHL as the first team from the United States. However, the oldest team in the NHL is the Montreal Canadiens, which was founded in 1909 and is based in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.